In our day-to-day life we often don’t have time to stop and even take a deep breath. I’ve found that waking up earlier in the morning to meditate has improved my overall day to day interactions.
I personally use the Chopra app. Since starting to meditate I feel calmer, have clearer thoughts and I don’t over react as often (my husband may disagree). Since the mind, body and soul are all connected, I’ve found that it’s important to connect with yourself before starting your day.
“Meditation is a mind and body practice that has a long history of use for increasing calmness and physical relaxation, improving psychological balance, coping with illness, and enhancing overall health and well-being. Mind and body practices focus on the interactions among the brain, mind, body, and behavior” (National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health).
Here is an example of meditation I use from the Chopra app:
Suggested Apps for meditation:
The #1 App for Meditation and Sleep. The Calm app is a leading app for meditation and sleep. Helping to lower stress, less anxiety, and more restful sleep with guided meditations, Sleep Stories, breathing programs, masterclasses, and relaxing music.
10 Benefits of Meditation
By Karen Anderson
While the varieties and benefits of meditation are many, there is no one- size-fits-all approach. In my experience, my growth and improvement in mindfulness significantly accelerates the more I consistently increase my awareness throughout the day and create the space as a daily habit and ritual.
I have learned that it takes time and practice, giving myself loving kindness to accept what is, without attachment to the outcome or judgment of a right or wrong way. My initial perception was that in order to ‘properly’ meditate, I had to have an environment absent of distractions, disturbances, or noise in order to concentrate and zone out. I came to realize that meditation does not necessitate that my mind be impossibly still and not wander. The beauty is in noticing that when your mind does drift – and it will – to have the awareness of the present moment, returning back to the breath. It’s perfectly okay! Whether it’s 30 seconds or 30 minutes, meditation is a wonderful way to relieve stress and anxiety.
As a beginner, I began experimenting with several guided meditation apps in order to find just the right fit. Many provide limited memberships on a trial basis, are rather inexpensive, or even free. They offer many wonderful choices in various methods of meditation, which can be done anywhere at any time. In addition to enjoying guided meditations, I have discovered the practice of Kundalini Yoga Meditation, which combines breath, meditation, and movement.
10 Benefits of Meditation
- Meditation brings my mind back from the shaken ‘snow globe’ to a settled place, allowing me focus and clarity in my thought processes.
- Meditation is a great smart start to my early morning ritual before my day begins.
- Meditation has a grounding, centering, and calming effect in the middle of chaos.
- Meditation keeps me present, to be in the moment – right here, right now.
- Meditation is my sacred and special place where I can get quiet – the vacation within when I need to escape.
- Meditation is my ‘time out’ when the day gets rough and I need an energy boost.
- Meditation slows down my mind, body, and soul, allowing the pause in between.
- Meditation helps me to focus on the quality of my breath, both which work together as a team.
- Meditation helps to alleviate and reduce the toxic effects of stress and low feelings.
- Meditation prepares me for sleep and is one of the 5 Self Disciplines, rituals which center around breathing, meditation, eating, movement, and sleeping for optimal health, wellness, and aliveness.
Karen Anderson is a licensed Realtor since 2005 and a Broker Associate with Champagne & Parisi Real Estate in the greater Boca Raton and South Florida region.
Having a health care background coupled with extensive training as a consultative Realtor has benefited her clients as she maintains an inquisitive client-centered approach, utilizing the most advanced and creative methods in marketing with keen attention to details and strong negotiation skills. Karen will initially discover what is important to her clients in their real estate and life goals in order to craft a strategic plan. Being a ‘questionologist’ allows her to truly get to know her clients on many levels so that she can best lead, guide, and protect them throughout the process towards a successful outcome.